- 1 tbsp cooking oil add more for frying
- 1 Kilo beef short ribs sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 cup onions peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp fish sauce to taste
- 2 pcs. bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 medium potatoes sliced into 2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup pimiento strips
- 1-3 pieces bird's eye chilies (siling labuyo) optional
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium to high heat. Working in batches, sear the short ribs on all sides. Set aside.
Return beef to the pan. Stir and season with salt, pepper, and fish sauce. Add bay leaves.
Add water, peanut butter, and coconut milk. Bring to a gentle simmer. Lower heat to the lowest possible setting. Cover the pan and simmer until the meat is fork-tender, about 1½ to 2 hours. Make sure to stir mixture every 15 minutes to avoid a burnt bottom. If needed, add a little water so it doesn't dry out.
Fry the chopped potatoes and carrots until golden.
Once the meat is tender, add potatoes, carrots, pimiento slices, and chilies, if using. Continue cooking until the vegetables are cooked through. Adjust the seasoning with a little salt or fish sauce, if necessary.