- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger peeled and minced
- 1/2 Kilo pork belly diced
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups dried taro (gabi) leaves
- 6-7 pcs. bird's eye chilies (siling labuyo) chopped
- 1 cup coconut cream
- salt to taste
In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until limp and aromatic. Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add shrimp paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add gabi leaves and with back of spoon, push down into the liquid until moistened. Add chili peppers. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until leaves have softened. Add coconut cream and continue to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or mixture is almost dry and begins to render fat. Season with salt to taste.