- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 Kilo pork belly cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. shrimp paste
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 small calabasa peeled and cut into pieces
- 6-8 pcs. okra ends trimmed
- 1/2 bunch long beans (sitaw) ends trimmed and cut into 3-inch lenghts
- 1 medium size ampalaya (bitter melon) seeded, halved and cut into 1-inch thick
- 1 large eggplant end trimmed and cut into 1-inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
In pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until limp and aromatic. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is lightly browned. Add shrimp paste and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp paste begins to brown. Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with back of spoon, for about 5 minutes or until softened and have released juice.
Add water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Add more water in ½ cup increments as needed to maintain about 1 cup of liquid.
Add squash and cook for about 2 minutes. Add okra, long beans, ampalaya and eggplant. Continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.